Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A prayer request, a praise and a post

This blog post is more of a prayer request than an update on what we have been up to.  I have so many emotions right now.  I hope this does not sound too much like a ramble so I will start at the beginning.  The VERY beginning.

June 2010 - Mike and I were in Japan on our survey trip.  Becky Winters told me to start praying then for God to give me a Japanese friend.  So I began to pray that God would give me a Japanese women to be friends with.  I have to admit I was worried.  I was worried that I would not be able to communicate enough to even find a friend.  I was worried that I would never have the chance to make a friend.  My kids would not be going to Japanese school.  There would not be a chance to meet any new friends while we wait to pick up our children.  I didn't know if I would be able to form a friendship with someone while at the grocery store.  How was I going to find a friend??  I worried and I prayed.  "Dear Lord, please bring me a friend"

January 2012 - We arrived in Japan.  I felt that every time I saw a lady looking at me I would think - "OK Lord, is that my friend??  Is she the one I have been praying for?"  OK that makes it sound like I have been stalking the ladies in my neighborhood.  I have not - I just wanted to be ready when God opened the door for me to have a friend.  I didn't want to be so concerned with me and my new world that I was not able to hear God speak.  So I continued to pray for my friend.

February 26, 2012 - It's a Sunday and we are headed to church.  Right as church is starting, in walks a young mother of three.  She sits in the back.  I noticed her because of the cute, chubby little baby strapped to the front of her.  We smile at each other.  After the service I made my way over to her.  I wanted to see (and hold) this cute little bundle of smiles.  She spoke broken English as she said, "Hold please" and handed the baby to me.  So I held the baby while she stepped away.  I smiled and cooed at this beautiful baby.  (By the way, silly baby talk has no language barrier)  When she came back we talked and made small talk the best we could.  She said she would try to come back to church.  The next week she came back and this time she brought her husband too.  After church I went over to speak to her again.  She introduced me to her husband and we tried to talk more.  She was very excited to see all my kids.  She asked me if I had done anything for Girls Day in Japan.  (which is March 3.  A day to honor your daughters.  You set up a display or shrine for them in hopes that they will marry a good, rich man.)  I told her we do not set anything up for Girls Day.  She then invited me to come to her house to see her shrine.  I was so shocked and honored that she would invite me to her home.  (Japanese people are very private people.  Most do not entertain or have parties in there home.  Your home is your refuge from the world, your work, your place to relax.)  She wanted me to bring Rachal along too.  We also took Becky's daughter with us, just in case we could not communicate.  When we arrived at her home I was overwhelmed by the size of the display and the beauty of it.  The dolls are beautiful.  On the way home while making small talk, she asked, "Do you like America?"  I said "Yes, America is great.  Lots of space and fun things to do."  Then she asked, "Do you like your family?"  I said, "Yes!  I love my family.  We talk on the phone and I miss them so much."  Then she looked at me and said, "Then why did you leave your America and your family to come to Japan?"  And this was an open door to share the Gospel with her.  With broken Japanese and broken English I told her that my family and I were here to tell the people of Japan about Jesus.  I don't know that understood everything I said.  She smiled and nodded.  So I have begun to pray for her by name.  That God would give me another opportunity to talk with her.  This past Sunday, she was back with the kids.  Her husband could not make it this week.  We talked again.  She invited me to her house for tea and coffee.  She wants to get to know me better.  I want to be able to share with her more about Jesus.  I want to get to know her better too.  I want to be a light in this dark country.

Now I don't know if this is the friend I have been praying for.  But I will be the best friend to her I can.  I will learn more about the language so I can talk more to her.  I will pray for her and her sweet little family.   I am asking for you, my friends, my prayer partners to join with me in prayer this week.  I am going to her house on Friday, March 16 at 3:00 pm.  (That would be Friday at 1:00 am Central Time)  Please pray that God makes a way for me to communicate easily so that she can understand.  Please pray that God will give me a chance to share the Gospel with her. 

 A card she gave me this week




A picture she took while we were at her house.
 That is her display behind us. 
(me, Rachal, and Kayla)

9 comments:

  1. Wow Cristy !! What a beautiful experience and relationship that is beginning. I will be praying for your meeting this Friday and that God will help the two of you to communicate in a way on HE can provide. I love reading your post and please know that you have this friend praying for you and the family here in Ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the prayers. You have no idea how much it means to me to know I have friends all over the world praying for me, praying for this meeting. Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. It is neat to see how many different ways God gives us the opportunity to minister and share the Gospel of salvation to others. We will continue to uplift you and your family in our prayers as you minister in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "ramble" brings tears to my eyes everytime.And early in the morning too. Tears in my coffee, Great testimony!
    I'm writing this anonymously so other people will not know that I am a cry-er.
    -Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I knew who you are?? I love to read the comments from my friends. So "anonymous" thanks for reading and keep on crying - it's good for the soul!!

      Delete
  4. I just want to hug you! How very cool. I remember a few years ago I also made a great friend thru a cute chubby baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me cry!! I miss you friend!! I miss you a lot. Wish we could just go out for Mexican food and talk!! Maybe Skype over chips and salsa??

      Delete
  5. My name is Marilyn, RN, believer in everything the Lord has called you to do. Would love to pray with you via this blog...

    Father, we stand in agreement that the meeting coming up tomorrow will be Everything YOU want it to be.
    Also, we agree for a sweet friend - picked out by YOU- and one that lasts a lifetime.

    IJN, m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet friend!! God is doing a mighty work and I am so humbled and honored that HE has picked me to work through!! Keep watching the blog. I have an update on our meeting!!

      Delete